Cycling Clubs

Cycling clubs in UK

As people get encouraged to love cycling, more and more cycling clubs were established in the UK.

Bath Cycling Club

The Bath Cycling Club was built in 1880 when the Penny Farthing era reigned. It was originally named as the Bath Arial Rowing and Bicycle Club during its first four years and transitioned to its present name when its members have decided to detach themselves from the rowers. Disagreement between the two groups occurred when the cyclists wanted to run road races, thus, resulting in broke up.

Just like any other cycling club, the Bath CC has also encountered many ups and downs. However, they continued to prosper until now which can be proven by the increasing number of cyclists joining the club as well as the various events they have organized for decades. Harry Frampton, who was the secretary of Bath CC for 45 years, run the club’s Athletic Festivals in August 1881 and was considered to be successful. As they strive, the group dominated the local road races and time trials of the cycling scene.

Anfield Bicycle Club

The Anfield Bicycle Club was established in 1879 in the Anfield district of Liverpool. It is home to famous cyclists who made their name in the competitive time trials and long-distance cycling. One of them was George Pilkington Mills, a record breaker cyclist who won the first Bordeaux – Paris race in 1891. He became an inspiration of the club and has also been the apple of the eye of prestigious cycling competitions like the Tour de France.

Cyclists Touring Club

The Cyclists Touring Club originated in 1878 and was called the Bicycle Touring Club before it got its current name. What makes this club distinct is how it continue to maintain its tradition. They welcome all their new cyclists, and it was proven by the reserved spots on the walls of old hotels where their emblem of a winged wheel was displayed. It was this club who created the first cycling proficiency scheme in 1936. It was done to promote cycling and increase the number of people who gained an interest in it.

Leek Cyclists’ Club

The journey of Leek Cyclists’ Club started on August 3, 1876. It was named The Leek and Moorlands Bicycle Club before it got its present name on January 20, 1879. The club held a meeting at that time, and Mr J. Allcock proposed to change its title, and Mr J. Hawksworth seconded it. There were only six men present during their first meeting. The number of the members increased to 12 in 1876, and it had grown to 35 by the end of the following year. On September 14, 1878, they held their first race. It was a handicap race that started from Leek to Sutton Toll Gate then, back.

Cambridge University Bicycle Club

Cambridge University Bicycle Club was founded on February 28, 1874, and started with 11 members. This number increased to 260 within five years of their existence in which most of their club members came from this university. They held their first inaugural race on June 18, 1874. Oxford and Cambridge competed for the place, however, the latter won. The first and second place went to Edward St. John Mildmay (Trinity) and John Plunkett (Trinity), respectively.

Peterborough Cycling Club

According to some researchers, the Peterborough Cycling Club was actually founded in 1873, which is different from what is shown on their badge. Their badge includes the year 1874, but there is still no accurate evidence until now. It claims to be the oldest active cycling club in the country. It is home to many cycling champions in the history including John French, Jeremy Harrison, Brett Harwood, and Fiona Harrison. The club also organizes time trials for different categories and still continues to promote cycling until now.

Looking back at the history of various cycling clubs in the UK indicates that this activity has been part of the lives of the major population in the country. Tremendous efforts are still conducted until now to ensure that the traditional events of these clubs live long for the future generations to experience.